Foundation & Key Stage 1
"God sent forth his Son’, but to prepare a body for him, he wanted the free co-operation of a creature. For this, from all eternity God chose for the mother of his Son a daughter of Israel, a young Jewish woman of Nazareth in Galilee, ‘a virgin betrothed to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David; and the virgin’s name was Mary."
Catechism of the Catholic Church 488
"In a wholly singular way she co-operated by her obedience, faith, hope and burning charity in the Saviour’s work of restoring supernatural life to souls. For this reason she is mother to us in the order of grace."
Catechism of the Catholic Church 968
1.2 Mary, mother of God : AT1 & AT2
Learning ABOUT and learning FROM the Catholic Faith
Key Learning Objectives
In this unit you will have the opportunity to:
- Know that God sent the Angel Gabriel with a message to Mary and why this is important;
- know that God asked Mary to be the mother of his son and reflect on her response;
- hear about Mary’s visit to her cousin, Elizabeth and reflect on their good news;
- reflect on how we can prepare to celebrate the birth of Jesus;
- know that Mary is our mother in heaven and that she is looking after us.